Tuesday, June 22, 2010

New Discovery

As I may have mentioned once or twice or thrice...I don't do lactose. Which means I don't do milk, of any kind.

Until...now! Very exciting moment. But first...a little history. I have experimented in the past with soy milk and almond milk, but processed soy sucks (and is no longer a part of my diet) and almond milk just didn't do it for me taste or consistency-wise. Neither of these products do much in the nutrient department, either.

So now, let me introduce to you...hemp milk. Yes, crazy! But true. I found a brand at WF that I really like - it's Living Harvest's "tempt." How playful of them. Anywho, it tastes delicious (in my opinion) and is packed with goodies.


1 cup is only 70 calories, and while it does have less protein than skim milk and soy milk, it has way less sugar and far more healthy fats - the hard-to-get Omega 3 and 6 fatty cids that are so critical to functioning like a human. It's also:

DAIRY & SOY FREE • VEGAN • TREE NUT FREE • GLUTEN FREE
CHOLESTEROL FREE • NON-GMO • KOSHER • LOW SODIUM
Hemp contains no known allergens




Ingredients

Hemp Nut Base (Filtered Water, Hemp Nut [Shelled Hemp Seed]), Natural Flavors, Tricalcium Phosphate, Carrageenan, Sea Salt, Vitamin A Palmitate, Vitamin D2, Riboflavin, Vitamin B12.



And no, it doesn't get you high...there is no THC in the products at all.

I use it in smoothies and you can also use it in place of regular milk for cooking and baking! Haven't experimented with that just yet, but will report back.

No comments: