Sunday, December 20, 2009

High up in Sky

Who knew one could still get excited about free WiFi in this day and age? But, it's the truth! I'm a few thousand feet up on Virgin Atlantic, heading across the country for a little R&R this week, and I have free em-effin WiFi. On an airplane! That is cool, if you ask me.

So, at the risk of sounding redundant... that was a lot of snow. Phew. I have to admit, I didn't appreciate it to its fullest, unlike those who partook in the critical mass snowball/gun fight on 14th Street. Brian and I hibernated, for the most part. But that was still pretty enjoyable. Once, we went to Kavanaugh's. We went to Starbucks. I made a huge omelet and Brian made a "Hawaiian Plate" for breakfast. Lots of rice, fried eggs, veggies and some garbanzo beans. It tasted delish. Not to mention, I spent 2 hours and 45 minutes on my trusty trainer yesterday, which sets some sort of personal record. It wasn't so bad. Chad had me doing some fast cadence drills, which helped break it up a bit. Plus, I watched Julie & Julia, which is a great little flick (and book).

Because I have free WiFi on said Virgin Atlantic flight (google is giving it away for free for the holidays, how glorious is that?), I have been doing a lot of internet browsing. Just for kicks. I've now spent a truly inordinate amount of time on Mark's Daily Apple. This site offers an incredible wealth of knowledge on nutrition. A former marathoner and Ironman triathlete (he came in 4th at Kona one year! not too shabby), he has since eschewed "chronic cardio" and ice cream for a Primal existence. It all makes a whole lotta sense. Granted, I want to win bike races next year, which means I must ride lots... so I won't be going fully Primal anytime soon. However, I have definitely adopted many of his suggestions in my non-processed food eating quest. He's all about lots of good healthy fats, protein and tons of veggies, some fruit (berries are best). It's good stuff. Just beware - you could get sucked in (there literally is a link for everything on there, it's phenomenal) and suddenly find yourself deep into a post about intermittent fasting. Then you're really in for it.

I'm excited for vacay this week. No Super Six until I arrive in Cherry Valley, NY ...which won't be until Friday. But lots of outdoor activities are in store. The brother is training for a half Ironman, so we'll get some good high intensity workouts in for sure. Hiking, some mtb, rock climbing and such. Looking forward to it. It's been a friggin stressful week.

Merry Christmas!

No comments: