Sunday, October 3, 2010

Pumpkin Pancake Fail and Snickers Bars

Right, so...the pumpkin pancakes were a complete DISAST. It turned out more like pumpkin mush. Tasted good, but looked like a hot, sloppy mess. Pureed punpkin is just super sticky and doesn't lend well to pancakes sans flour - really needed something to change up the consistency. Banana, sunflower seed butter and egg did not suffice. I had it for breakfast this morning, however, and it was still totally edible. Just not something I would recommend everyone run out and make. No sir. I didn't take a picture because, essentially, it looked like cat food. No one wants to see that.

I had the pleasure of doing my first Kelly Acres ride on Saturday. It was a blast - solid time on the bike with a good group and a nice little climb thrown in near the end. My legs held up pretty well, but I felt bonk-tastic for most of the first two hours or more (even having eaten FOUR gels - come on, now? WTF). We stopped at a gas station right around that 2 hour mark, and I ate an almond Snickers bar. Definitely playing with fire. At no point in recent memory have I been able to stomach any form of candy bar. But I threw caution to the wind (after reading the ingredients and deciding it actually wasn't the worst combination of all time, as I had originally assumed). Turns out, I felt fan-friggin-tastic for the remainder of the ride. I was able to carry on a conversation and hang out on the front for a bit with our fearless leader, and instantly felt a million times better. It is clear I need more sugar in my life.



When I find things that work once, I figure they will work again. I planned to eat another Snickers before today's cx race @ Winchester, but there was no time for gas station shenanegans before the race. As such, I opted for one as my post-race nutrition on the way home. 5 grams of protein and 24 grams of sugar - almost a 4:1 ratio, even! Once again, my stomach cooperated. Shocking, really. Something very interesting is going on. Not sure what, and certainly don't want to jinx it. But the tum has been acting like a total gem the past few days. I digress. Winchester was fantastic. First cx race of the season for me - perfect weather, a lovely roadie-friendly course (only two dismounts) and a nice-sized women's 4 field. Really can't ask for anything more.

After KA on Saturday, the B and I paid a visit to the mickimood booth at the Del Ray arts fair. Don & Michelle Saroff do REALLY nice work. We bought a fabulous bowl from the Peppermint Series - absolutely love it. Nice work, those two. One day I want pottery to be my hobby. At this juncture, however, the purchase of a kiln does not seem a likely item for the to do list.

Finally - I got p90x in the mail yesterday. Training 2x per week starts on Tuesday. I am prepared to be sore.

7 comments:

Titania said...

Heard you came in third yesterday, congrats!! Keep on eating snickers, maybe that is what *I* need...

Anonymous said...

Have you tried almond flour or some of the other gluten-free flours? I have a recipe for almond flour pancakes. Admittedly not as good as homemade buttermilk pancakes, but as good as any mix. Check out these:
http://www.elanaspantry.com/pancakes/
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-many-uses-of-almond-meal/

margit said...

@titania - thank you! snickers definitely injected some serious life into me at KA. not sure it would work every time, but a great way to immediately replace glycogen stores.

@uffda - i have not...but agreed, almond flour would make perfect sense. enjoyed the kvetching today! xo

Anonymous said...

coconut flour is tasty as well

great in waffles

Anonymous said...

mmm snickers. jealous.

margit said...

@anon - i DIG the sound of that. noted.

@siegs - miss your face! have a snickers, i won't tell rog.

Titania said...

I got this on email today, made me think of you:

http://www.myrecipes.com/t/vegetables/pumpkin/?iid=edit-ws-101410